Sign in if you already have an account.
  
join_us.gif

National Spotlight

Financial Resources —Did you know that there are many financial resources that can help people living with breast cancer? Find out more

Voices of Impact™ — Join us here as we continue to share stories that celebrate the women and men who inspire us all.

INAUGURAL THINK PINK EVENT ENCOURAGES BREAST CANCER AWARENESS IN YOUNG TEXANS

Komen Austin Affiliate's young professionals group rallies together to educate community

June 1, 2011

 

On Thursday, May 26th, the Young Professionals for the Cure® (YPC), a group supporting the mission of the Austin Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, hosted the inaugural Think Pink™ educational symposium and dinner at St. Edward’s University Ragsdale Center. A panel of local health care professionals and breast cancer survivors provided breast cancer basics at the sold-out event, which was targeted at men and women ages 21 to 40.

"I was very honored and excited to share my survival story with this group of young women and men," said Jen Harman, breast cancer survivor and panelist. "Awareness and self-advocacy are key in this sometimes overlooked demographic."

Harman was joined by Radiologist and Director of Breast Imaging at Scott & White Hospital Round Rock Dr. Michael Do, OBGYN and BRCA Specialist Dr. Andrea Campaigne, Global Health Education Specialist for Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Brandy Jones and breast cancer survivor and advocate Lisa Lehmann.  The panelists presented critical information on breast cancer in an effort to increase awareness and early detection. 

"I did not know how young breast cancer patients could be.  I thought maybe 28 or 29 would be the youngest, but to hear about 19, 20, 21 year olds being diagnosed was shocking," said Sarah Loh, YPC Member and event attendee.

The event was sponsored by  Liberty Mutual, Premiere Party Central, Cannoli Joe's, The Pie SocietyHonest Tea, Athena,  Yoga Yoga, Zeta Tau Alpha, Stiletto Stampede for the Cure, Texas Stars and Natural Inspirations

About Young Professionals for the Cure®
The Austin Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® launched YPC in the Fall 2009 to offer young professionals ages a chance to socialize, network and make a significant impact in the community. The YPC members are dedicated to Komen’s vision of saving lives and ending breast cancer forever by promoting breast cancer awareness, providing volunteer support and raising funds through innovative programs.

About Austin Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®
Since 1999, the Komen Austin Affiliate has provided more than $10.5 million in funding to local community clinics, hospitals and health care organizations for breast cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment, and research for the cures.  Up to 75 percent of the Komen Austin Affiliate’s net income funds community grants for medically underserved women and men. The remaining net income (a minimum of 25 percent) supports the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Grants Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research programs around the world. For more information about the organization, please visit www.komenaustin.org.

Contact:
Jeremy Butler
Think Pink PR/Marketing Chair
Jeremy.butler03@gmail.com
512-731-4872

###