Sign in if you already have an account.
  
join_us.gif

National Spotlight

Financial Resources —Did you know that there are many financial resources that can help people living with breast cancer? Find out more

Voices of Impact™ — Join us here as we continue to share stories that celebrate the women and men who inspire us all.

KOMEN AUSTIN KICKS OFF RACE FOR THE CURE REGISTRATION

Race registrants pay only $15 in honor of 15th anniversary Race

June 3, 2013


 

On the heels of National Cancer Survivor Day, Susan G. Komen® Austin today kicked off its 15th annual Komen Race for the Cure registration. To celebrate the fifteenth year serving the men and women of the Austin area, Komen Austin is offering a special registration fee discount for the first 15 days of race registration. Beginning today through June 17, people can register for this year’s Race for $15 – up to 57 percent off a single registration.

“As we embark on our fifteenth year in Austin, providing life-saving dollars to organizations in our own community, we are ecstatic about this year’s celebration of survivors and co-survivors,” said Christy Casey-Moore, executive director of Komen Austin. “This is the first time we’ve offered a discount of this size for the Race, and we’re hoping it will allow more individuals to register and help us reach our fundraising goals.”

In addition to the early registration, Komen Austin will be celebrating National Cancer Survivor Day all week with Facebook and Twitter posts from Race chairs sharing their story – these are survivors and co-survivors who help organize the Race each year.

While breast cancer affects men and women of all ethnicities across the globe, the disease remains prominent right here at home. This year alone, more than 14,980 mothers, sisters, daughters and friends will be diagnosed with breast cancer and approximately 2,650 will lose their battle in Texas alone.

The Race is the single biggest fundraising effort for Komen Austin, and 75 percent of the funds raised through the Race stay here in Austin – funding community grants that provide local breast health screening, treatment and education. The remaining 25 percent of funds go toward global breast cancer research.

“One in eight women will face breast cancer in her lifetime. Whether you walk, run, volunteer or donate, your participation in the race will help these women,” continued Casey-Moore. “I challenge you to think of eight women they are your reason to join us this year.”

The 2013 Komen Austin Race for the Cure will be held on November 10, 2013, in downtown Austin. Participants of all ages can either walk or run the 5k or family 1 mile in memory of loved ones, to celebrate survivors, and support the Komen Austin promise to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures. To register for the race, volunteer or fundraise for the event, please visit www.komenaustin.org.

###

CONTACT:

Megan Lacy
FleishmanHillard
Phone: 512.495.7170
megan.lacy@fleishman.com